There are two places you can visit on the Disney Dream: Castaway Cay and Nassau. I suggest researching things to do at each place so you can make the plans ahead of time. There are so many things to see or do at each location, so planning in advance will help make most of your time there. In this post, I will be mostly discussing the things you can do at Castaway Cay.
Castaway Cay is Disney’s private island in the Bahamas. Here are some of the things you can do at Castaway Cay:
- Bicycle Rentals (1 hour and up) – for six dollars an hour, you can ride a bicycle and admire the breathtaking views that the private island has to offer.
- Boat Rentals (30 minutes) – at Boat Beach, there are different boats to choose from. Each boating option has a different price. These rentals are first come first serve.
- Beaches- there are several beaches at Castaway Cay. The Family beach is for everyone. The Teen Beach is exclusively for teens and the Serenity beach is exclusively for adults.
- Dining- there are three dining locations. The three BBQ locations are: Cookie’s BBQ, Cookie’s Too, and Serenity Bay BBQ. They all serve the same food. They are all included so no extra payment is necessary. There are also bars and soft serve ice cream machines on the island.
- Snorkeling Lagoon- you can rent out snorkel gear and snorkel. Cool thing is that you can see many fishes and things like sunken ships! I totally recommend doing this.
- Castaway Ray Stingray Adventure- for an additional fee, you can snorkel with stingrays!
- Shopping- there are several shops around the island. Some of the items that can be bought are: cups, pins, and postcards (basically a ton of different kinds of souvenirs in order to remember your cruise).
- Castaway 5k- this is a 3 mile run that you can do on the island. It is a great way to look at the island while exercising!
- Character Meet and Greets- there are many locations where you can meet the characters. Right when you enter Castaway Cay, characters can already be seen. Meeting the characters are much easier because they are many characters scattered throughout the island and the wait is usually less than meeting the characters inside the ship.
- Scuttles Cove and Spring-a-Leak Water Play- Scuttle Cove is a play area for kids and Spring-a-Leak Water Play is also a play area for kids with a bunch of fun activities.
- Games- there are areas to play volleyball, tether ball, foosball, etc.
- Pelican’s Plunge- This is a floating water island that has two waterslides, a giant bucket that dumps water onto guests, and water cannons.
- If you are interested in some of the packages they have to offer, I recommend researching what each package consist of and the price. Then plan out the things you want to do there.
- I went to Castaway Cay without purchasing any packages or excursions. I still had a blast. I played tetherball, went down the slide at Pelican’s Plunge, ate some yummy BBQ, and snorkeled (I did have to pay for the snorkeling gear).
- If you want to snorkel in the Snorkeling Lagoon, I recommend bringing your own snorkeling gear. If you do not have any, you have to purchase the snorkeling gear in order to go into the lagoon.
- Fun Fact: if you do snorkel, try to find some sunken submarines. Those are the same submarines that were used in the attraction, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea: Submarine Voyage. This was a former attraction at Walt Disney World, but they took it down September 5th, 1994.
- A cheap souvenir to purchase is a post card from the shop. Although it is a post card, the image is good quality and you can frame the postcard and put it in your house as a decoration.
- Fun Fact: Part of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl was filmed on this island.
- Bring a underwater camera
- Check this link out if you want to check out the legend of Castaway Cay: http://www.disneycruiser.info/stateroom/legend_of_castaway_cay.pdf
Nassau is the capital city of the Bahamas. In Nassau, there are shops that are duty free. You can also buy things that the locals make. Senor Frogs and Sharkeez Bar & Grill are restaurants that are close to the ship. Another cool place to visit is Atlantis. There are beaches you can visit as well. You do not have to do the excursions in order to have a great time. Just make sure to research beforehand so you plan out what you want to do.
I hope this helped you out (: This is the last post for my Disney Dream Series. If you have any questions, please ask away. You can comment down below or you can comment or send me a DM on my Instagram account: Orlandosmagicandmayhem. I will always reply to your questions. Also, if you would like to see more tips about the Disney Dream or anything Disney/Orlando related, give my Instagram account a follow. With that said, I hope you have a magical day. If you are going on the Disney Dream, I hope you have the best cruise ever! Love you all!